Monday, January 31, 2005

Secure Email...

Can there be such a thing for 'normal' users??

I've been on the internet for +10 years now and I figure that nothing is secure on the internet... if someone whats so see it, access it, read it whatever, they will be able to. I know about encryption key length, physical security... but I just don't think any of it works against a determined individual. Keys can't be broken (well, at least not in our lifetime or with quantum computers), but they can be lost and then where does that leave you?

What brought this up was that I was checking out Ciphire Mail. Looks very cool. The more I look at it, the more that I like it. What would be really cool is that if they could merge this functionality with ... for example Mozilla Thunderbird. By integrating it within the open source email client Thunderbird, this might prevent the pass-phrase dialog box from appearing at boot up.

The only weak point I see in the Ciphire solution is that what happens to users if the certificate directory disappears (as this has never happened in the dot-com aftermath!!). I'm sure that the corporate solution will have business-managed certificate directories.

I will definitely have to give this product a good testing. Now that PGP is no longer free and open, I've been looking for a replacement.

F1fan